[mythtv-users] Mythmusic - CVS and other scary things

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 14:40:47 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 13:44, Steve Dorsey wrote:
> Hello
>
>    I FTPd my 24GB of MP3s across to the Myth box. Woohoo! It allowed
> me time to get some lunch.
>
>    Now that the music is there, I am finding that accessing it is
> slooooooow. Myth lets me into the music listening area, and I can
> choose songs, but - even if I choose only 2 or 3 songs - response is
> painfully slow when playing them. I have thousands of tunes in the
> giant "select music" list, but only 3 songs are selected.
>
>    I searched the gossamer threads, and I found a few (very colorful)
> threads dealing with database accessing and fixes or "patches". They
> mentioned CVS. All I know about CVS is that it is used for version
> control for developers. We used it once at a dot-com I worked at to
> keep track of changes for our back-end technology development. Since
> I was a web designer, I never needed it much. I just created
> templates and gave them to developers.
>
>    Do I really need to install CVS to get these fixes for MythMusic?
> I sure hope not - I'm feeling like a developer more and more every
> day, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to be that intelligent. My head
> may explode.

"Installing CVS" here is usually translated as "download, compile &
install the latest version from the MythTV CVS repository".  There are
instructions for doing this on the website/in the docs, but if you're
not comfortable using command-line tools, compiling, etc, then you
might want to wait for 0.15 to come out.  Another option is pre-package
CVS versions from ATrpms, but I hesitate to recommend that if you're
not comfortable doing it by hand.

Also, the problem you're describing (and you might want to elaborate on
what you mean by "response is painfully slow") doesn't sound like the
same problem that was fixed in CVS, anyway.  You might want to post a
description of your system, including:

- motherboard, chipset & CPU
- RAM
- video card & driver version used (if applicable)
- sound card & driver used (OSS or ALSA?)
- Linux distro
- version of Myth
- relevant settings for MythMusic
- specs on your MP3 files (i.e., bitrate, etc)
- where your mp3 files are stored (local IDE/SCSI disk, external drive,
network share)

No one can really help you if you don't provide enough information.  If
you give us too much information we can always give you a refund :-)

-JAC