[mythtv-users] Building MythTV over packages?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 16:19:00 EST 2004

> To date, I've never had a problem with the database using
> this method.
> Of course, it's also rare that I switch back to an older CVS
> build once
> I've built a new one.  Usually if there's a "showstopper", it's fixed
> by the time I find it, and I just upgrade & rebuild, rather than
> downgrade.

My experience is the same.  Actually, I've never compiled CVS and
found it to be broken.  I usually wait for commits to be relatively
quiet.  I've been careful at times to save the past couple sets of
binaries, but often get lazy and have never gotten in trouble.  I've
hardly ever done a database dump, despite it taking about 10 seconds
to do, and just wondered in retrospect whether I'd been taking any
real risks.