[mythtv-users] FW: Pvr250 issues - any suggestions?

Kevin Russell kevrussell at charter.net
Thu Apr 1 16:56:07 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Russell [mailto:krussell1 at baldwinmutual.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 2:42 PM
To: 'mythtv-users at mythtv.org'
Subject: Pvr250 issues - any suggestions?

After reading numerous posts in both this forum and extensive googling,
it seems that one must put up with "interlacing artifacts" if you want
to use a pvr250. Is this really the case?

I have a pvr250 and an nvidia geforce 5200 using svideo output to a 27"
and when watching sports or other motion intensive programs, I see what
most have been calling interlacing artifacts. When watching dvds or
other prerecorded objects, motion is perfectly smooth. I've tried using
jitter reduction, increasing the resolution, increasing bitrate,
changing colordepth in Xconfig but all to no avail.  I get the same
thing if I simply record using cat /dev/video0 > testing.mpg and play it
back through mplayer.

It sounds like one solution is to use a a hauppauge 401 and apply
filters to the recording, but in the past I've used a hauppauge 401 and
the color quality was subpar and I had the motion effects as well.
However, I was not using filters - just the stock setup. Is this a valid
solution? If so, what do I need to do?

While I really don't want to spend any more money, would a pvr350 do the
trick?

Or is my only solution to buy a replaytv or tivo.  I really love myth
though and I'm not that picky.  I find it extremely hard to believe that
people just put up with what I'm seeing - it's watchable but extremely
annoying.

Thanks to all!