[mythtv-users] Anyone know what some of the new features may be for 0.15? :)

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Thu Apr 1 18:30:46 EST 2004

    James> is I was wondering if there were any plans to implement a
    James> feature in Video Manager to allow one to delete a video via
    James> the frontend.  I know you can delete videos on the command
    James> line and re-run Video Manager to take care of it, but it
    James> would be really awesome to be able to just delete videos
    James> with the remote at the TV.  Anyway, just wanted to mention
    James> those.  All in all, I love Myth :)

Are you sure you can't already do this?

(I can't check on my system, as MythVideo needs compiling since I
upgraded MythTV, and I haven't got around to doing so yet).

I just have two (difficult?) wish list items (since MythTV is almost
perfect anyway <grin>):

* More robust, no crashes, ability to handle invalid data (and other
error conditions) in an elegant manner without crashing, and recover
when the error condition is fixed. eg. You should be able to pull out
the antenna and not risk software falling over in a heap. Similarly,
plugging the antenna back in should result in good reception again. (I
have repeatedly seen MythTV fail both of these tests when trying to
debug an intermittent antenna connection). Here the back-end is most
important (if the backend crashes you lose the ability to record
anything), but the frontend is also a priority. If the backend does
crash, it should be easy to find out what went wrong.

* More flexibility in choosing card to record from. MythTV shouldn't
try to schedule program A to record on DVB channel X if there is no
DVB data for channel X defined in the database, instead it should use
another card that does have the channel defined. Similarly, there
needs to be a way to override the choices MythTV makes, so I can tell
it "I want show X (1900-1935) to be recorded on the analog card so
that show Y (1930-2030) (channel C) can be recorded on the DVB card,
because channel C is really crap on the analog card".

Maybe some sort of priority system for {channels,cards} would be one
solution here. I suspect this issue may require more consideration.
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>