[mythtv-users] nvidia Geforce 4 mx and overscan fun

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Fri Apr 2 12:19:16 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 02:21, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2004, at 10:53, Wayde Milas wrote:

> Um, I see a very simple solution: use a 2.4 kernel that is compatible
> with the 4363 driver. It Just Works (tm). Or do you have some really
> good reason that I can't think of that you have to run a 2.6 kernel on
> your MythTV box?

Yes. Some of the hardware (sata) needs 2.6.

After fooling around with the 4363 I can get it to compile against 2.6
and it is useable.

Its outputting alot of warning to log files about acpi and such, but as
far as I can tell its all warnings. No lockups, ect. Its annoyiong that
its spitting out a coupla messages every 5 seconds though.

The current driver also outputs a bunch of pci badness under 2.6. I wish
nvidia would just release a current driver that supports overscan AND
plays nice with 2.6.

IMHO using a depreciated kernel because "it just works" is a bad idea in
general. As time goes on mnore and more people will have issues with it
beause more and more modern hardware wont work under 2.4.

Wish there was an opensource alternative.

I'm also thinking about buying a dvi to svga converter box. I'm guessing
this is probably the highest quality option as I skip all the tvout
wierdness to begin with.

Which leads to my next question. Has anyone done this for svga/(non
hdtv)? Any hardware they can recommend?