[mythtv-users] Need help picking out new motherboard / cpu

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 2 12:33:31 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:59, Harry Orenstein wrote:

> >From: "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>

> > > According to the nVidia GeForce4 MX specification, it has "Integrated
> > > full hardware MPEG-2 decoder". I could send you the PDF if you want to
> > > look at it.
> >
> >I've already read it. Let me clarify my statement. There is no fully
> >functional hardware mpeg2 decoder on the GF4MX that'll decode HDTV
> > streams. To begin with, the full mpeg2 decode capabilities aren't
> > supported by the Linux driver. Even if they were, that doesn't mean it'll
> > handle HDTV streams.
> >The PVR-350 has an mpeg2 decoder that *does* have Linux support, but it
> >can't do a thing with HDTV streams.
>
> Jarod,
>
> I don't know if that is necessarily true.  This link:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xfree86.org/msg01623.html
>
> tends to indicate that XvMC support for HDTV is present in the
> nVidia driver.

Oh, I know XvMC support for HDTV is present, just not full-out mpeg2 decode.

> I would think that it would not be supported in
> the PVR-350 because the MPEG handling for that hardware is
> geared to the resolution that it can handle.

True.

> The nVidia cards are
> supposed to handle much higher resolutions and so you would
> expect the MPEG accelleration to work up to the max resolution.

Hopefully, yes. I meant to simply point out that it wasn't a guarantee that
this would be the case. From what I read though, this definitely *will* be
the case with the NV4X cards... At least under Windows. :-(

> Perhaps a better statement for the GF4 would be "no one is
> using it yet".    ;-)

Yes, that is probably more accurate. Or "no one has even been able to use it
yet, because full driver support for it does not yet exist".

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/