[mythtv-users] Re: OT: Migrating from Red Hat 9.0 to Fedora

vince at busam.com vince at busam.com
Sat Apr 3 18:29:14 EST 2004

>> 2. How difficult is upgrading to Fedora as it relates to Myth,
>> specifically.  Can I just put in the CD and so an in-place upgrade or is
>> that mostly a pipe dream?

>This will update all your Fedora base rpms, then adjust the
>sources.list and dist-upgrade to upgrade the rest. You can even skip
>the part with the Fedora CDs and use only apt for upgrading, but it is
>a tiny bit involved (but that's how all my own systems but one got Fedora
>on them ;). Hint: Update kernel, the glibc, then "upgrade" and finaly
>"dist-upgrade". Watch the output at every step to correct possible
>packging bugs (e.g. perl vs perl-CGI etc.)
>--
>Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Thanks to Alex's advice to an earlier post I made, I decided to take the CD
upgrade route and not worry about all the upgrade issues.

I still got hit by a few problems.  First, kudzu screwed up my 3Com ethernet
card so I disabled kudzu.  Second, I had to give up on ipchains and switch to
iptables.  In both cases I was getting sytems hangs.  In both cases I found
posts on the internet that described the problem I was seeing and the
workaround.  I also just recently noticed that my DNS server wasn't working
because the new DNS uses chroot and my files were in their old location not in
the new location.  Otherwise, the upgrade was smooth.