[mythtv-users] nvidia mx 440 - tv blanks after a few minutes

malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 4 21:57:40 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 5:42 PM

> malcolm wrote:
>

> >Sorry that was just a typo in the email.  I do have TVOverscan in there.
> >tried different settings from 0.1 up to 1.0 and the only difference I see
is
> >the number of flickering lines on the blackbox gui right before
mythfrontend
> >starts.  The black bands on the top and the bottom of the screen don't
> >change.  They are pretty large too.  I'd say at least an inch.  My
pvr-350's
> >tv out doesn't do that.
> >

> Are you using the 4363 video drivers? Later versions have overscan (and
> other important things) broken.

No actually I'm using the latest 5336.  I tried downloading and installing
4363 per what I've seen in the archives but I'm assuming its ment for 2.4
kernel boxes because I had all kinds of errors trying to get it compile and
work on my box.  The 5336 installs without a hitch.

I wonder if I can just downgrade my Mandrake 10.0 installation to a 2.4.x
kernel?  I seem to be having  more problems with the 2.6 kernel than I did
with 2.4 (ivtv drivers, lirc etc.)

> >>Are you using XvMC?  You can tell if your OSD while watching TV is
> >>grey.  Are you using twinview?  Do you have the deinterlace filter
> >>turned on?
> >>

> >XvMC?  Not sure what that is exactly.  My OSD while watching TV is in
color.
> >If I pause I get blue background with a red boarder and white writing.  I
do
> >not have the deinterlace filter turned on.  I tried turning it on but
that
> >looked worse so I turned it back off.  That's only for monitors right?
> >

> XvMC is a way to accelerate MPEG2 playback using your video hardware.
> It also precludes using things like deinterlacing filters.  The
> deinterlace filter isn't just for monitors, it's for anything that's not
> using an interlaced signal, and since the Nvidia drivers aren't
> outputting an interlaced signal that's pretty much everything.  That
> being said, on some chipsets the drivers appear to deinterlace
> automagicly so it may not be needed.

You lost me here.  Are you saying I do or do not need deinterlaced signal?
It was my understanding regular analog TVs have an interlaced picture.  I
also thought from reading the archives that the nvidia mx 440 chips where
outputing an interlaced signal at a hardware level? (one of the reasons I
picked the card).  Is there something I have to do in software to get the
signal interlaced?  How do I turn on XvMC?  Is that a Myth or nVidia driver
setting?

> >>You might want to fine tune things a bit.  Try searching the archives
> >>for "modeline".
> >>

> >I've seen lots and lots of modeline examples posted to the list but I
really
> >don't understand what they are.  I tried just pasting in a few but not
> >knowing what I'm looking for I'm just blindly picking them.  I couldn't
see
> >any changes with the few I tried.
> >

> The modelines allow you to tune your video card to the monitor (or TV)
> better than just dropping in a resolution and a couple refresh rates...

I'll see if I can play with that some more.

BTW - the Option "blank time" "0" in my XF86Config-4 file stoped the TV
screen from blanking.

Thanks
Malcolm