[mythtv-users] sleep/wake with Jarod's guide

Kenneth Ljungh kenneth at klj.servebeer.com
Mon Apr 5 16:46:28 EDT 2004

Henk Poley wrote:

> Op maandag 5 april 2004 20:37, schreef Kenneth Ljungh:
>
>>Henk Poley wrote:

>>>Do you also shutdown the box (like I do) or do you use some of the
>>>suspend to RAM/Disk stuff? There seems to be some interest for it on the
>>>mailinglist currently, so please share your resources. :-)
>>
>>Yes, I have myth run /sbin/poweroff to shut down the box and
>>nvram-wakeup to use the cmos clock to power on the box.
>>I also set myth to power on 120 secs before recording since the box
>>boots in about 1 min.
>

> Ehm isn't poweroff a 'hard' thing. Like, it doesn't shutdown services and the
> such? My system runs "/sbin/shutdown -h now".

On my box poweroff does just that as far as I can see.

> That boottime is about what I get too, but I never clocked it after I enabled
> the parallel rc stuff genoo has. Edit /etc/conf.d/rc and set
> RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes", don't know if it helps anything though. :-P
>

>>nvram-wakeup didn't automatically recognise the pundit but the latest
>>release (0.95) do support it so one just have to specify it on the
>>command line. Also there was a wake-up-before margin of 5 min in one of
>>the .h files that I set 0 zero before compiling.
>

> Hehe, I think I have a little advantage that I can read the German
> nvram-wakeup forums. There's stated that you can download the CVS version, or
> just the definitions header file, and it would work after a recompile.
>
> btw, I think that it might be possible to directly write in UNIX epoch
> to /proc/acpi/alarm and have it work, though I never tried that. Obviously
> you would need to have the wake-up feature enabled in the BIOS already
> (nvram-wakeup does that for you).

I'm running a 2.4.25 kernel and did try the kernel acpi support but I
couldn't use a clean shutdown and get the box to power on. Only if I did
an unclean power off that just kills the machine in an instant with
# echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep

But nvram-wakeup really works great on my box.