[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter

rick-myth at perlmonkey.org rick-myth at perlmonkey.org
Mon Apr 5 18:27:48 EDT 2004

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to mythtv, I'm about to build my mythtv box, Just
waiting for the PVR-350 and the case =).   Anyway, to my question.  I've
been going through the documentation and the myth-user archives to find
out what exactly I need to control my digital cable box, and the answer I
have found is a Serial -> IR Transmitter. My search for one of these has
led me to two possible solutions

1. Make my own as per the lirc website.  Unfortunately my knowledge of
electronics is very low, and I don't feel confident in doing such.

2. Buy one from http://www.irtrans.de/ as lirc also suggest.  I'm having a
few issues w/ this.  There are several items there, and I'm not quite sure
which one is what I need. Second, it's being shipped from Germany, and I'm
rather impatient =), and thirdly they seem don't seem to have just the
cable, but transmitters that seem to be excessive (not to mention
expensive, when you add it all the VAT and Shipping to the US).

I know this might be a little off topic, but can anyone recommend a
commercially available SERIAL -> IR Cable or Transmitter that works well
with a MythTV Setup?

Thanks
Rick