[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Mon Apr 5 21:09:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 18:27, rick-myth at perlmonkey.org wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm pretty new to mythtv, I'm about to build my mythtv box, Just
> waiting for the PVR-350 and the case =).   Anyway, to my question.  I've
> been going through the documentation and the myth-user archives to find
> out what exactly I need to control my digital cable box, and the answer I
> have found is a Serial -> IR Transmitter. My search for one of these has
> led me to two possible solutions

If your digital cable box is a Motorola DCT-2000 series you can control
it with a serial cable. The firmware has to be version 7.54 or higher.
To check go to Menu->Setup->Cable Box, then choose "Yes" to "See
Configuration".  Then you just need a standard male to female 9-pin
serial cable.  There's a program in the contrib folder to send the
correct signals over the serial port.

Your cable company may need to enable your box for serial control (mine
was already setup, but I hear that isn't always the case).  If the
firmware version is right, but serial control doesn't work call them and
say you have TiVo and would like to have serial control enabled.  Since
everybody knows what a TiVo is, it's the easiest way to explain what you
need.

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>