[mythtv-users] Jarrod's Guide for Debian?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 6 03:54:07 EDT 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 13:33, Jim Southard wrote:
> OK, I'm very new at MythTV, so be gentle....
>
> Is there something like Jarrod's great Fedora guide for for getting
> MythTV running on Debian?

Sort of. Poke around for Torsten's PVR-350 on an EPIA under Debian link.

> I'd especially like to find a step-by-step
> guide that explains the Matt Zimmerman deb's and how to get them set up
> with IvyTV drivers and PVR-350 TV out.

Okay, I dug it up myself:

http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough

> I'm a moderate novice at Linux. Just playing around, I've successfully
> installed and set up most of the major Linux distros on a variety of
> hardware (Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, SuSE, and even Gentoo, plus a few
> others). I've decided that I like Debian the best, for a variety of
> arguable reasons (I'm really hooked on APT and dist-upgrade). I still
> spend almost all of my "normal" computer time in Windows, however, so
> I'm by no means Linux-literate.

Well, if apt is the big reason you're sold on Debian... It exists for other
distros as well, Fedora/Red Hat included. I use it a LOT. ;-)

> Based on the collective wisdom here, should I switch to Fedora just so I
> have a good guide to follow?

I generally think people should use whatever they're most comfortable with. If
you really like Debian, stick to Debian.

> Or can I find good help on Debian?

You can find good help on Debian. Lots of folks use it, including many of the
developers. I've installed and ran Myth on Debian myself (didn't care for it,
went back to Fedora, but that's just me). KnoppMyth is Debian-based, so
anything from the KnoppMyth forums should be of use as well.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...