[mythtv-users] pvr-x50 settings poll

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 6 04:20:09 EDT 2004

On Sunday 04 April 2004 11:10, Myth wrote:
> I've been curious, what are people using for settings on the pvr's and
> how is the quality?
> I setup via Jarod's guide (great work, btw!) and am using the default
> settings in myth (see below) which results in about 2 gigs per hour
> recorded.
> What settings are you using?

See below.

> How is the quality?

Excellent.

> What are the resulting recording sizes?

3.7GB/hr.

> ----------------
> MPEG-2 Encoders:
> width: 480

720

> height: 480

480

> Stream Type: MPEG-2 PS

DVD-Special 2
(Note: this is supposed to be the best stream type, its the one XP MCE uses)

> Aspect Ration: 4:3

16:9

> Bitrate: 4500

8000

> Max. Bitrate: 6000

16000

> Audio:
> Sampling rate: 32000

48000

> Type: Layer II
> Bitrate: 384 kbps

384

I don't keep much of anything for very long, and I have a High-Def TV I'm
watching on, with a relatively nice Yamaha sound system, so I go all-out for
quality. Lesser settings really show on this setup. Your settings are about
what I use for shows that get watched on an old analog set upstairs by my
kid, where you really don't notice the difference.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...