[mythtv-users] Beyond Tv or MythTV????

Adrian Gomez me at adriangomez.com
Tue Apr 6 10:12:02 EDT 2004

Well. I use both products (Actually use is a strong word, since I do most of my
recordings on my Tivo) and belong to the extended beta group at Snapstream
(once the product goes through a few beta cycles, I get a crack at it).

Beyond TV does nothing but PVR funtions, they have a new product that is still
in beta (but has been announced) called Beyond Media that does pictures, and
photos and integrates to Beyond TV. I have yet to see Beyond Media (since it is
too early in Beta).

Without going into extensive detail, I believe that their is only one major
feature that Beyond TV has that MythTV doesn't: That is the ability to stream
content including live TV to a web browser.

As far as features major features missing from Beyond TV (the release version, I
am not talking about the betas) that exist in MythTV:

1. Limited support for hardware cards that are not the PVR-250 and PVR-350.
2. No TV out support on the PVR-350.
3. Not a client backend system. In the current release you have to install the
entire application on one box.
4. No shutdown/restart.

Beyond TV is less stable than MythTv (depending on hardware), but after some
initial bumps I have had both Beyond TV and MythTv running for weeks at a time
without reboot and recording the shows without a hitch.

Beyond TV is much easier to install.

I hope this helps.
Adrian Gomez