[mythtv-users] sleep/wake with Jarod's guide

Skavoovie mythtv at skavoovie.com
Tue Apr 6 12:00:23 EDT 2004

First try using the command:

init 0

(this changes the init run level from current level (i.e. 5) to 0 (shutdown)
and see if it behaves the same way -- halting all processes and then telling
you that its ready to power off but not actually shutting down the hardware.
If it still behaves the same way, try this:

Check your BIOS -- look for the setting pertaining to how your power button
behaves.

If your power button setting is set to "instant off" when pushed rather than
having to "hold for 4 seconds", this is in essence disabling the ATX
advanced power functionality -- the functionality the kernel relies upon to
send the power-off signal to the hardware.

If it is set to instant power off as soon as your power button is pressed,
try switching it to the hold for 4 seconds to power off and then see if the
kernel's shutdown -h  / poweroff / init 0  will completely power down the
box.

--Skavoovie