[mythtv-users] Thanks for the PVR-350 donation!

bishop bishop at platypus.bc.ca
Tue Apr 6 14:56:40 EDT 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 April 2004 04:55, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately my ALi chipset based PC dies on it, like it did with
>>the bttv some time ago [ALi magik 1 chipset PCI bus latency bug :(],
>>so I'll have to upgrade some components to be able to use it.
>

> I feel your pain.  I've had to learn the hard way which chipsets to
> avoid.  A few years ago I learned to stay away from VIA chipsets when I
> got a VIA-based mobo that could only cache 128MB of RAM.  It took me a
> long time to figure out why my PC was noticeably slower after upgrading
> to 256MB or RAM -- the cache got disabled because it couldn't handle
> that much RAM.
>
> My next mobo (I ended up frying that one), which is in my Myth box now,
> has an ALi chipset.  I have 60GB of unusable space on my new Seagate
> 200GB HD because the broken ALi IDE chipset won't support >137GB, even
> though I flashed the BIOS with an update that was supposed to enable
> that support.
>
> I think from now on I'm going to stick with nForce, IBM or Intel.

JAC,

Doesn't nForce also have the DMA issues of the Via set?

I could swear that I saw a recent nForce issue here that smelled like
the classic kt133 DMA issue.

It may be the cheap drugs talking (caffeine, sugar, etc).

  - bish
--
	WAP is the sound a clunky Internet-enabled cellphone makes
	when you throw it at a brick wall in frustration.