[mythtv-users] ALSA and SPDIF Out For nForce2 Motherboards

Scott Elliott selliott at insight.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 18:35:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 09:45, Wayde Milas wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 22:41, Mike Denver wrote:
> > I followed your directions, and was able to make get my s/pdif to work with
> > mplayer work by "gmplayer -ao alsa9:nforce" now I can't duplicate this. Also
> > I don't have the option in myth to select alsa9:xxxx. This seems to be a
> > pretty popular topic so has anyone put together an expanation on how
> > everything works together, what all to check? ie: ~/.mplayer/config,
> > .asource which controls in alsamixer controls s/pdif.
>
> I'm having EXACTLY the same problem, but with the emu10k driver. I dont
> think its related to any hardware (nforce2 ect) but with the fact that
> myth cant chose the correct alsa device.
>
> What I want to know is HOW are people getting a alsa9:xxxx selector in
> myth? I cant find it anywhere.

The only way to set it is to go into mysql and update the value in the
"settings" table for the "AudioOutputDevice". You have to use the
correct format: "ALSA:device", so something like "ALSA:nforce" or
"ALSA:hw:2,0".  This is all because the ALSA support is unfinished and
not really well supported.

That being said, look for previous posts about the nforce SPDIF output.
I use it with the ALSA OSS emulation, with the device /dev/sound/adsp.
I never got it working well directly with myth & ALSA.

--
Scott Elliott <selliott at insight.rr.com>