[mythtv-users] choppy HD video playback

Scott W. Edwards scott at swesound.com
Tue Apr 6 20:17:08 EDT 2004

Hello list,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem: I have a Myth system I
have just finished building. It is running Gentoo, kernel 2.6.4-rc1,
with a pcHDTV card using Ulmo's kernel patch, draft 3n. CPU is an AMD
Athlon XP running at 2800Khz, 333Mhz fsb, with 512MB PC2700 ram. Video
card is a MSI FX5600XT using nvidia's latest driver. Hard drive is a
Maxtor 120GB ATA ultra133. The video storage partition is formatted in
XFS. Audio is an Echo Mona card using ALSA 1.03. Myth is the CVS
compile.

The problem I am having is that while Myth will record and playback SDTV
(480p) channels very well, but when I switch to a channel which is
broadcasting HDTV, or 1920 x 1080, the playback (video and audio)
becomes very choppy. Basically it will playback a second, then skip and
playback another second, and so on and so on. I have tried just
recording an HD stream and then going back and playing it with Myth, but
the result is the same. Mplayer will playback the file just fine,
although it suffers slightly from jagged edges on pans and such, so it
seems that that the data from the pcHDTV card is good. I have tried
compiling Myth with XcMC support and without. No change. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott