[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter

Clint Gilders techservices at onlinehobbyist.com
Tue Apr 6 21:36:31 EDT 2004

Dan Morphis wrote:
> To build the simple circuit, you'll need a few parts:
>
> 1 x 1N4148 diode
> 1 x 3k ohm
> 1 x IR LED (Can be scavanged from an old remote, or you can use LD 271)
> 1 x Soldier style db9 male
>
> Soldier a wire on to pin 4 of the db9 header.  Take the other end and
> soldier it to the anode (The end W/O the black line) on the diode.  Take
> the other end of the diode and soldier it to one end of the resister.
> Take the other end of the resister and soldier it to anode of the ir led
> (The side w/o the flat spot [someone please correct me if I have that
> backwards]).  Take the other end of the ir led and soldier it to pin 5
> of the db9 male connector.
>
> You should be looking at less than $5 in parts.  If you want a quick way
> to test the circuit, fire up the camcorder and look through the view
> finder while lirc is sending a signal.  A quick way to send the signal
> is: irsend SEND_START <REMOTE_NAME> 1
>
> Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Thank-you so much for the easy to follow instructions.

I yanked the IR LED and a coloured led out of a broken remote my kids
play with.  My wife brought me the wire, diode and resistor from work. I
removed the casing from a ps2 to serial mouse adapter to get the db9
plug.

I then soldered it all up (I included the coloured LED so I could see if
a signal was being sent).   I use star choice in Canada, and I was able
to find an lircd.conf file for it's remote ( at
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/motorola/IRC-442 ).  I also
installed change_channel_lirc.sh from the contrib section of the myth
source.  I re-compiled lirc to work with the new transmitter, and
rebooted.   Whiz! Bang! It Works!  `irsend StarChoice405 300` tunes in
the CBC.

Oh yeah, I also had to add:

`/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none` to the beginning of my lircd init
script.

Thanks again.
--
Clint Gilders <techservices at onlinehobbyist.com>