[mythtv-users] Help! "could not connect to socket; lirc_init failed"

gurdude at yahoo.com gurdude at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 07:35:28 EDT 2004

[Executive summary:  After running mythtvsetup, I get
the following:
Would you like to clear all capture card
settings before starting configuration? [no]
Would you like to clear all program/channel
settings before starting configuration? [no]
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
Couldn't open /dev/video0 to probe its inputs
Can someone explain how to fix this?  Details below.]

OS: Fedora Core 1
Kernel:  2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp
Hardware/setup:  WinTV-Go tuner card (Bt878 Video
Capture, with bttv driver), onboard soundcard (Intel,
circa 2003), no TV output card (i.e. I'm will watch TV
on my computer), and no remote control (I'll use the
keyboard & mouse).

I followed Jarod's guide step-by-step without any
problems, but I skipped:
* step 7 ("Get and install custom ATrpms kernel")
since he wrote that everything in the guide CAN be
done using the stock Fedora Core kernels (and since I
am not using v4l2 devices, am I?).
* step 8 ("Get and install video card drivers") since
I'm not using the PVR-350 or an nVidia video card.
* part of step 9 ("Get and install ALSA"); I did
deselect "Start aRts soundserver on KDE startup", but
the guide said that the rest of this step is not
essential, stating it is possible to get MythTV
working without touching ALSA.  Fedora Core's included
OSS audio framework generally works fine.
* step 11 ("Get and install capture card driver / For
users of capture cards based on the Brooktree bt848
and bt878 chipsets") since the card was automatically
recognized by kudzu (Fedora hardware detection
utility) at system boot time after I put the card in
the machine, and a basic /etc/modules.conf entry was
written for me, and Fedora Core's stock bttv was
loaded at startup.
* step 12 ("Get and install lirc") since I am not
using any remote control device whatsoever.  Something
tells me I need to do something to inform Myth that
I'm not using lirc.

I was able to set up MySQL fine (per the
instructions),  and even successfully run
mythfilldatabase.  I also entered the command
$ mythbackend &
(what does the & mean?)
and then entered
$ mythfrontend
and was able to poke around a few parts of myth (the
weather and TV guide both worked).  However, live TV
did not.

I also think that step 4 of the setup screen did not
give me any choices.  So, maybe that's related to the
error messages at the very top of this e-mail.

Any help is appreciated.  gurdude at yahoo.com