[mythtv-users] Problems with alsa & spdif & myth

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Wed Apr 7 14:21:51 EDT 2004

Op woensdag 7 april 2004 17:51, schreef John Sturgeon:
> David wrote:
> > From my dvd player optical sounds *slightly* different (not as sharp
> > on bass for me) IMHO.
> > I'd use optical from my PC if available as I think there is far more
> > chance of noise/hum from a PC.
>
> I'm completely baffled.  Where is the noise/hum coming from?  This is a
> completely digital signal.  The amplifier does not touch the signal
> until it is decoded.  Any 'static', or 'noise' introduced by using a
> wire instead of fiber optics would *never* be heard by the amplifier
> because it is not an audio input.  The 1's and 0's either get there, or
> don't.  Sharp bass?  Not possible.

You are right in the sense that noise degradation is not really possible, the
non-sharpness of the bass is probably just a placebo effect. He's right in
the sense that *any* metal connection between audio source and stereo can
lead to some interference that *may* introduce a 50Hz humming 'fridge' noise.

	Henk Poley <><