Fwd: FW: [mythtv-users] Capture ok, no live tv

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 16:16:54 EDT 2004

On Thursday 08 April 2004 13:54, Peter Martens wrote:
> > No, you have a PVR-250, so it doesn't need access to the audio
> > device to
>
> capture, as the capture card muxes the audio into the MPEG stream.
>
> > However, you do need to open the audio device to do playback.  When
> > you
>
> say "audio works fine with everything else", does that include
> playing back a > > previously recorded show in Myth?  If that works
> OK, then you have a different problem.
>
> > Try this:  run mythfrontend from a terminal and try LiveTV.  Then
> > take a
>
> look at the terminal and see if mythfrontend prints any interesting
> diagnostic > messages...
>
> > -JAC
>
> __
>
> I do have the same problem. Havent found an answer yet. (see my post
> from yesterday)
> LiveTV gives me a black screen (Output: Remote encoder could not be
> selected) and there is no sound when I try to record something with
> Myth. I do have sound when playing audio CD or DVD...

The "Remote encoder" message is bad, as I've said before.  You've got
something seriously mis-configured.

> When I try to capture audio through cat it works after setting
> test_ioctl.... When I start Mythfrontend it seems to alter those
> settings!!! Capture with audio is only possible after setting
> test_ioctl again.

The "test" in "test_ioctl" implies just that... it's a tool for testing/
playing with your ivtv-driven card.  You *shouldn't* need to use it
with a working Myth setup (except in rare cases), as Myth manipuates
all the ioctls for you.

> Apperently there are more people suffering this problem. Does someone
> knows an answer???

I do not think that the two of you have the same problem.

Peter, to diagnose your problem, try the following:

mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

This should give you a mysql prompt.  Please send the output of the
following (don't forget the semi-colon at the end of the line!)

mysql> select * from capturecard ;
mysql> select * from videosource ;
mysql> select * from cardinput ;

-JAC