[mythtv-users] MPEG2 Editing

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Apr 9 10:50:28 EDT 2004

The process I use, like all of them under linux, is a bit cumbersome but it
works. The 45 minutes it take under linux is much better than the 6-8 hours
it takes with the windows tools.

I use avidemux2 to cut commercials and other crud from the show. Then save
the video and audio streams. Then I use mplex to reassemble it in DVD
compatible format (also does other formats) and dvdauthor to create a dvd
file system. Then finally I use growisofs to create the dvd.

I dont save in any other format as I cannot tolerate the loss in quality you
have when converting to another format. Everything worth saving gets saved
on DVD-RW disks which get reused at some point.

Do a archive search for avidemux2 and mplex and you will find some very good
detailed instructions. Even a novice like myself can follow them. :)