[mythtv-users] Mythtv on an S-ATA box (help!!)

William White bwhite at frognet.net
Sat Apr 10 15:08:52 EDT 2004

Coax wrote:

> The problem is, of course, lack of kernel support for SATA in FC1, and
> FC2 (testing) is just a bit too alpha for your needs..

I've never had a problem with SATA drives on FC1, they always appear as
SCSI (e.g., /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2).  OTOH it may be the chipset I use
(Intel 8265 w/ VIA VT6410 ATA133 RAID) is better supported.  FC1 install
detected the SATA drives fine too.  I've run FC1 on a pure-SATA host too
(don't recall the chipset), although that box has since had PATA drives
added for more space.

I wonder if the FC1 installer simply doesn't include the module you need
for your chipset.  If that's the problem you could probably install onto
a parallel ATA drive, then see whether the SATA is recognized; if so,
just copy your installation (including boot partition and blocks) onto
the SATA drive.  Just don't forget to update /etc/fstab, grub/lilo
config, etc.  You could also make your own installation with the mods
you need, I have no idea how to do that.