[mythtv-users] MPEG2 Editing

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Apr 10 18:25:12 EDT 2004

> Basically.....I have to render the MPG twice...which takes a good
> chunk of
> time, but I'd rather not archive commercials since DVD-R's aren't
> exactly
> cheap at the moment...

Avidemux can hack out your commercials, save MPEG2PS, and essentially do
a fast copy of the streams if you aren't changing scale/format.

Trimming commercials out should not require reencoding at ALL if you
want an MPEG2 out, and have a MPEG2 nuv from a 250/350/m179.

I don't know if encoding is involved to generate MPEG2PS from normal,
same size MPEG2, or if it is sort of a "recompile". I suspect the
latter.

Avidemux2 will also directly load mythtvs flavor of nuv file , rtjpeg,
mpeg2, or mpeg4 based, and allow you to trim out the commercials and
encode ONCE.

Mythtranscode or old unsupported versions of mplayer are not required.
--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>