[mythtv-users] Mythtv on an S-ATA box (help!!)

William White bwhite at frognet.net
Sun Apr 11 10:24:46 EDT 2004

David wrote:
> Then create some partitions and some lvm2 space (soooo .... hmm well, I
> made everything xfs here - on 2nd thoughts reiserfs would be a better
> match 'cos it allows resizing bigger and smaller which may be useful for
> lvm2 stuff)

You can grow xfs partitions with xfs_growfs, which has a man page.  Make
sure you have the 'xfsprogs' RPM (available via apt) if you're using an
RPM-based distro.  As my problem seems to be accumulation of data, I've
never needed to shrink a partition. ;)

Incidentally, a minor warning about xfs over lvm.  While I've never had
corruption with xfs over lvm alone, I tried running an AES encrypted
loopback partition (work security requirement) over xfs over lvm (over
SATA, but I don't think that mattered), and *always* got corruption; I
couldn't even build an ext2 filesystem on the loopback and then remount
it.  I finally grabbed an old drive and looped a disk partition, that
worked fine.  Never had problems with cryptoloop over ext3 either.

I don't know whether this is a problem with xfs, lvm, or the cryptoloop
modules (which I had to build from source, despite the export regs being
dropped.  grr.)  So, xfs over lvm *may* be buggy, but I've decided it's
stable enough for TV recordings.  Like I said I've never had corruption
(that I know of) except with aes/cryptoloop.