[mythtv-users] Knoppmyth alsa - reboot loses settings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 11 20:41:53 EDT 2004

jpainter at cox.net wrote:

>I have a bt878 card, piping tis audio into my nforce2 motherboard into the AUX input on the motherboard.  I can fire up alsamixer, mute the input, set it to record and all is well.  However, I have been looking for a week tring to figure out how to STORE the settings and I am about to pull my hair out.
>
>Tries alsactl store first, like in the docs.  It didnt come with alsactl, I did an apt-get on alsa-utils and it did partially install.  I have alsactl now, but running alsactl store tells me it cant open the config file.  I used the -f flag to force it to a different location, however I have no idea how to make it read the options from there on boot.
>
>There are other posting here that talk about using aumix to store the settings.  It works for changing running settings, but I can't save my settings (tells me the .aumixrc file can't be open.  Again, I can force it to another file, but I have no idea how to get it to read these settings on boot.

The default configuration file used by alsactl is /etc/asound.state.
Therefore, the user running alsactl will need write permissions to the
/etc directory.  Usually, you'll run it as root.  This is normally done
by the "alsasound" init script (i.e. something like
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound) at shutdown--therefore, when you restart
your system, the sound settings are restored to the last settings you
applied.

I would guess the same holds true for the aumixrc file--you'll need
write permission to some system directory, so you should run it as root.

>Knoppmyth uses some knx-alsa package instead of regular alsa-driver and alsa-utils, I think this has somethign to do with it but im too much of a NOOB to figure this out apparently.

Don't use Knoppmyth, so I don't know knx-alsa.

Mike.