[mythtv-users] Myth w/Directv

Tom Elsesser telsesser at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 12 07:41:25 EDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:48:27 -0400, "William"
<wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>Ok, here is a bit more detailed instruction. Take a look at the back of your
>directv receiver and look to see if there are one or two places that look
>like spots where you can plug the phone line. One will be narrower than the
>other. If there are two, you have a receiver that can be control by a serial
>connection. If only one then your only choice is to control it by a i/r
>(infra-red) transmitter. This is similar to the way you would normally
>control it with the remote.

I have an DRD303RA. It has a regular phone-line jack, a 9-pin low
speed data port, and a 15-pin high speed data port. It appears I need
the i/r transmitter.

There is also a hole, as if for a headphone-type jack, marked
"remote". The manual doesn't have any info on it. I'll ignore this for
now.

>If only one, you will need to make or purchase a i/r blaster and will need
>to set up lirc to control the blaster. This is quite a bit more difficult
>than the 2 connector option but it can be done. A search of the archives of
>this list will provide you with a huge amount of material about both types
>of setup.

Noted.

>If you only have one and lirc seems to be a bit more than you can manage,
>there are alternatives but they will require you to purchase some relatively
>cheap commercial hardware. Let me know if you want more info on that option.

Obtaining and compiling lirc wan't the daunting part, I've been
goofing with linux for 6-7 years now. I just can't seem to find
anything diagraming how to hook the dss to the backend, then change
channels via the frontend.

>Hopefully this has cleared up some of your confusion.

I have a better understanding now. Thanks s'much.

Tom