[mythtv-users] Looking for silent Via Epia M10000 - X-Box Option?

Ken J. Davis kdavis at cyberdavisfamily.com
Mon Apr 12 13:12:26 EDT 2004

> What about m$oft X-Box as dedicated frontend only machines?
> I have no experience but is it true that Myth works ok on a hacked
> X-Box? Refurb versions sell for about $150 (maybe less) and
> have nvidia with TV-out built in. They are also pretty quiet from
> what I understand.
>
> rob

Yes Myth definately works on a hacked Xbox.

>From my perspective, there is a huge difference between a quiet PC and a
silent PC.  I wouldn't put an Xbox box in either category.  It has a CPU
and a case fan both making noise, not what I would consider quiet, but I'm
picky.  What I'm trying to do is hide a frontend on top of my kitchen
cabinets connected to a 10 inch LCD TV....total silence is a must in order
for the wife to approve the installation.  I have a Duron 900 Mhz machine
running quiet and not getting to hot, but, it can still be heard even when
on top of the kitchen cabinet....I'm new to the silent PC thing, any
suggestions welcome.