[mythtv-users] transcoder locks system?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 09:39:35 EDT 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 18:01, Andy Swain wrote:
> I have a Athlon KnoppMyth system with a PVR250 and its great
> only problem is it locks up a lot (every 5-10 minutes) if I do any
> kind of transcoding
> The machine is totally locked - no ctrl-alt-f1, no ssh or web access.
> So it must be a driver problem I think?
> most likely seems the graphics card (nvidia tnt2 ultra running TV
> out) or the Mobo onboard Lan but transcoding shouldn't really use
> either of these and the box is stable as long as I don't transcode.
> Any ideas where to look? is nothing in the front or back end logs, or
> var/log/messages. What other driver could it be and how can I track
> it down if theres nothing in any log files?

When you say 'transcoding', do you mean transcoding using
'transcode' (i.e., MythDVD - Rip DVD), or do you mean transcoding Myth
recordings with mythtranscode (or hit 'X' while watching a recording)?

I used to have problems with 'transcode' hanging while ripping/
transcoding a DVD, but it never locked my machine up.  Yesterday I
tried scheduling a program for transcoding with mythtranscode (hit 'X')
for the first time in a long time, and I experienced the same
problem... machine locked up, no ssh access, no response from keyboard
or remote.  X display was frozen.  Running CVS from 7-April.

-JAC