[mythtv-users] Myth w/Directv

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Tue Apr 13 09:51:05 EDT 2004

Not necessarily.  The IR receiver you use to control things actually
needs to be connected to the frontend.  Many people use the builtin IR
receivers of capture cards like the pvr-250, because they're using the
frontend/backend together as one machine.  In a split setup, you'll need
to get a separate IR receiver (not too expensive, or you can make your
own), and connect it to each and any frontend.  Then when you change
channels, the frontend will pass along that "command" over the network
to the backend.  The only long 50ft. connection is going to the cat-5
networking cable from the frontend to the backend.

- Willy