[mythtv-users] Myth w/Directv

Chris Thompson ct-myth at cthompson.com
Tue Apr 13 11:21:49 EDT 2004

Tom Elsesser (telsesser at mindspring.com) wrote:
> >>From Each RCA box there are three cables. An Svideo and an audio cable go
> >to each of the cards respectively.
> Audio as well, since you are using the s-video, correct?

Yes, a dual RCA to single "headphone" style 1/8" jack.

> >My frontend has no capture card, it has no DirecTV box. This is what I mean
> >about unthinking. There's really no reason to have the tuner or the DTV box
> >out under the TV, leave it with the backend.
> I wanted to have the backend in the "control room" of my house, using
> a kvm between that and my XP game machine, and have the frontend in
> the basement controlling the tv down there. If my thinking on the i/r
> receiver is (finally) correct, I would need to extend the i/r receiver
> by about 50 feet to have it reach the tv from the backend.

Nope. You want the remote and, in turn, lirc, controlling the FRONTEND.
LIRC essentially just translates IR keypresses into keyboard keypresses. So
you hit "Guide" on my remote and it sends "M" to mythfrontend. The
mythfrontend process then signals the backend box to send the change
channel command out the serial, to start recording, to pause, etc.