[mythtv-users] asus pundit + alsa spdif flailing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 13 18:18:46 EDT 2004

Paul Phillips wrote:

>Aargh.  I finally had my myth box running correctly with 5.1 sound and sat
>my wife down to demo our new digital library of DVDs.
>
>Except audio was gone.  I hadn't changed anything and it had been working
>fine for a couple days, so I figured it'd be a quick tweak.
>A look at /proc/asound/pcm does not list the digital device that I think
>is supposed to be there, and light is no longer emitting from the optical
>output, though that state of affairs may be a result of one of the many
>things I've changed trying to get sound back.
>mythtv at myth:~ $ lsmod |grep snd
>snd_intel8x0           32132  0
>snd_ac97_codec         61828  1 snd_intel8x0
>snd_pcm                93220  1 snd_intel8x0
>snd_timer              25604  1 snd_pcm
>snd_page_alloc         11268  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>snd_mpu401_uart         7936  1 snd_intel8x0
>snd_rawmidi            24096  1 snd_mpu401_uart
>snd                    53220  6
>snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi
>soundcore               9952  1 snd

Your sequencer modules are all missing (snd_seq_device, snd_seq,
snd_seq_midi, snd_seq_midi_event).  I couldn't even figure out a way to
load snd_intel8x0 without getting the snd_seq_device module so I could
test if this could cause the problem.  This may be a problem with your
modprobe.conf (or modprobe.aliases or wherever your distro includes
aliases), missing modules (from
/lib/modules/2.6.5/kernel/sound/acore/seq or whatever your distro called
your kernel), or your ALSA modules may have been compiled without
"--with-sequencer=yes" (in which case it's unlikely that's the problem).

>mythtv at myth:~ $ cat /proc/asound/pcm
>00-00: Intel ICH : SiS SI7012 : playback 1 : capture 1
>00-01: Intel ICH - MIC ADC : SiS SI7012 - MIC ADC : capture 1

Definitely missing the IEC958 device.

>mythtv at myth:~ $ cat /proc/asound/devices
>  0: [0- 0]: ctl
> 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
> 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
> 33:       : timer

Missing a second digital audio playback.

Probably your best bet is to re-install ALSA (or reinstall or recompile
your kernel--however you got things installed in the first place).

Good luck.  HTH.

Mike