[mythtv-users] ASUS Pundit Front/Backend System w/o PVR250/350: Config Suggestions?

Darren Enns dmenns at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 13 18:56:35 EDT 2004

Greetings all:

For the past few weeks I have been doing research (including pricing) on
mini-ITX systems based on the Epia M10000.  I was very close to ordering
(from a Canadian supplier since I am Canadian) only to find out that on
its own this would *not* be fast enough for MythTV front/backend work
i.e. I would have to add a $250 CDN Hauppauge PVR350 to make it 'fast'
enough.  This pushed my estimated system price up to around $1000 CDN.

OK, today I went visiting other options, including P4-based mini-ITX
systems, but the 'good' ones are very expensive, and the cheaper ones
(like the Insight P4-ITX) don't seem to have a Canadian presence.  So,
my attention  has turned to the ASUS Pundit -- which I had considered a
year or two ago before I bought my Shuttle SN41G2.

I can purchase a Pundit in my own city (conveniently), but I am somewhat
at a loss on how to configure it -- especially for CPU speed.  Now, to
my chagrin, I read many postings in the MythTV users group about folks
with the Pundit -- but using the PVR250 and/or PVR350!  I would have
thought that a sufficiently fast CPU would make this unnecessary
(perhaps excluding the other good things that these cards offer).  So, I
would appreciate some comments on:

1) Suggested CPU and speed for a Pundit system that will not include a
PVR250/350 board
2) Any other useful pointers for a person like me about to purchase a
Pundit for this (MythTV) purpose
3) Whether I should reconsider my purchase of the mini-ITX based systems

The store that I intend to purchase the Pundit from has CPU options
ranging from a Celeron 2.0Ghz (minimal config) to a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
(extra $245 CDN).

Thanks

Dare

P.S. The site that I am using the price out a complete Pundit system is:

http://www.mlhsystems.com/momex/NavCode/Builder/System/33