[mythtv-users] Need help with native lirc

John Ross programming at johnwross.com
Tue Apr 13 22:49:51 EDT 2004

Hello,

I've been using MythTV for quite sometime and just recently decided to also
begin running Mythvideo and MythDVD.  So... irxevent control is no longer
able to cover my needs for remote.  If I run video or dvd, as I leave the
playback the focus is not returned to Myth.  Since my frontends (4
frontends - 2 backends) do not have keyboards or mice, I cannot regain
control of the machine.  As I said, lirc with irxevent is working fine for
me.  But after recompiling with native lirc I have no joy.  Naturally I'm no
longer starting irxevent &.  Lirc is started as per the MythTV howto in my
rc.local file.  MythTV is started with the following script

killall mythfrontend
killall irxevent
mythfrontend -l /home/myth/mythfrontlog.txt

which exists as mythtv.sh in my .kde/Autostart directory.

In the log for the frontend I get:

2004-04-13 21:05:21 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
2004-04-13 21:05:23 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.

And of course it does not operate.  I have gone to /dev and have set lirc,
lircd and even lircm to 0777 (yes 777 since 666 wasn't working and I don't
see the need for "security" on a machine that only operates as a
mythfrontend).

My config file (.lircrc) is:

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = ChannelUp
    repeat = 3
    config = Up
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = ChannelDown
    repeat = 3
    config = Down
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = VolUp
    repeat = 3
    config = F11
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = VolDown
    repeat = 3
    config = F10
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = SRS
    repeat = 3
    config = Escape
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Menu
    repeat = 3
    config = M
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = MenuUp
    repeat = 3
    config = Up
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = MenuRight
    repeat = 3
    config = Right
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = MenuDown
    repeat = 3
    config = Down
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = MenuLeft
    repeat = 3
    config = Left
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Enter
    repeat = 3
    config = Enter
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 0
    repeat = 3
    config = 0
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 1
    repeat = 3
    config = 1
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 2
    repeat = 3
    config = 2
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 3
    repeat = 3
    config = 3
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 4
    repeat = 3
    config = 4
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 5
    repeat = 3
    config = 5
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 6
    repeat = 3
    config = 6
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 7
    repeat = 3
    config = 7
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 8
    repeat = 3
    config = 8
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 9
    repeat = 3
    config = 9
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Mute
    repeat = 3
    config = F9
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Display
    repeat = 3
    config = P
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Star
    repeat = 3
    config = R
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Hash
    repeat = 3
    config = V
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = RMB
    repeat = 3
    config = B
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = LMB
    repeat = 3
    config = N
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Aux1
    repeat = 3
    config = F
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Aux2
    repeat = 3
    config = G
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Aux3
    repeat = 3
    config = D
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = CD
    repeat = 3
    config = Home
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Phone
    repeat = 3
    config = End
end

The receiver is the Packard Bell, and the remote a Sima fully programmable.
I get about 20' range and well confirmed with irw.

My settings.pro had:
# Native lirc support
CONFIG += using_lirc
LIRC_LIBS = -llirc_client

This front end:
2g Celeron
Shuttle MV42N Motherboard
512 meg memory
8.4 gig hd
16x DVD player
FX5200 video
Integrated CM sound
Soundblaster Live sound <- used by Myth

I've seen similar questions before on the list, but I've not found any
solutions from searching the archive.  Has anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks,
John