[mythtv-users] Gentoo + VIA Binary driver

Paul W. Smith cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu
Thu Apr 15 10:08:13 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 5:52 pm, Mikhail D'Vane wrote:
> From: Paul Smith <cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu>

> >To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> >Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Gentoo + VIA Binary driver
> >Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:09:30 -0500
> >
> >At 07:29 PM 4/14/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >>Well, you definitely have a stepping 3, so the EDX fix is required if
> >>you're using software decode.  Double-checking that is probably a
> >>good thing to do (you might even want to blow away the work
> >>directory and the .tar from distfiles and start from scratch).
> >
> >Doing this as we speak.  I'll let you know how it goes...
> >
> >>I'm running MythTV 0.14-r1 straight from the portage ebuild.  I've also
> >>ran 0.13 on this box and had same performance.  It also looks
> >>like your Epia setup (kernel version, XFree version) is very close
> >>to the same as mine (and I haven't noticed any significant change
> >>with the different -epia kernels or Xfree-epias).
> >>
> >>What process is eating most of your CPU bandwidth?  If it's
> >>mythfrontend, the EDX fix is suspect.  If it's something else then
> >>I can't help out much - the incorrect MMX detection on the M10K
> >>was the only CPU-hog issue I've had with MythTV.
> >
> >It's the mythfrontend process, so the EDX is suspect.

I finally got the problem fixed!  It was definitely the EDX issue, and an edit
and re-merge did the trick.  Now I'm getting around 30%-40% CPU usage, and no
skipping!

Also, I don't have HW decode setup in the settings.pro file.  I remember doing
this at one point, but with everything I've done to get MythTV up and running
(including several re-installs) I must have lost it somewhere.  I'll enable
HW CLE266 and see if I can get that number down to 20%.

Thanks for the help (especially Mik)!

Paul