[mythtv-users] Questions from the logs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 15 17:47:35 EDT 2004

Matt Hannan wrote:

>Hello. I have a couple of questions about stuff I am seeing in my log.
>
>I just upgraded to the latest ivtv (0.1.10pre2-ck35) from ATRPMS and am
>getting these lines:
>
>kernel: tuner: chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
>kernel: tuner: type set to 2 (Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and
>compatibles)) by insmod option
>kernel: tuner: The type=<n> insmod option will go away soon.
>kernel: tuner: Please use the tuner=<n> option provided by
>kernel: tuner: tv aard core driver (bttv, saa7134, ...) instead.
>
>***Should I be concerned?

The ivtv driver requires the "tuner" module, that is used by the bttv
driver (and, incidentally, not distributed with the ivtv driver's
source).  The "tuner" module is only compiled during a vanilla kernel's
"make modules" when the "bttv" module is selected.  The "tuner" module
you've got is the updated version created for bttv
( http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/bttv.html ) with I2C 2.8.x (
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/ ).

The new bttv module has simplified its module options by allowing the
user to specify tuner type within the "bttv" options instead of in a
separate "tuner" options line, and they've deprecated the use of the
"tuner" options line.  Your version of the "tuner" module was created
for use with the new version of the "bttv" module; therefore, it is
warning you that your configuration may not work with future versions of
the "tuner"/"bttv" modules.

Since the ivtv module allows a "tuner=" option, you could try editing
modules.conf (or modprobe.conf for Linux 2.6.x users) and add "tuner=2"
to your ivtv options, such as:
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 tuner=2
(others, make sure you use the proper value for your tuner), and remove
the line:
options tuner type=2

The, run "depmod -ae" (as root).  This /should/ (not tested because I
don't have the new bttv driver) eliminate the message the next time you
load the drivers (but see below, because you might have other
problems).  Keep reading, though, because you'll get errors from depmod
if you don't fix the things below.

So, in short, no--don't be concerned (if this is the only message).
Even if you leave it as is, everthing will work.

>Also, I used to have a WinTV Go card in here with the bt878 chipset. I
>am still seeing bttv messages:
>
>kernel: bttv: driver version 0.7.104 loaded
>kernel: bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for capture
>kernel: bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365
>[KT133/KM133]
>insmod:
>/lib/modules/2.4.20-30_37.rh9.at/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o:
>init_module: No such device
>insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
>parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.       You may find
>more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
>insmod:
>/lib/modules/2.4.20-30_37.rh9.at/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o:
>insmod bttv failed
>
>***How do I get rid of/stop bttv from loading on boot? Or do I need it?
>I am running a PVR-350 now (not using TV-Out option).

Just remove the lines relating to the bttv from modules.conf and run
"depmod -ae" (as root).  As far as which ones to remove--I'll leave that
up to you and the bttv mailing list/fora.

>Also, back in the bt878 days, I loaded the rivatv modules.
>
>modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module rivatv
>
>***Again, how do I remove this now?

As above, edit modules.conf, remove any rivatv-related lines, and run
"depmod -ae" (as root).

>And the last (probably not Myth related, but I will dump it in here
>anyway ;-) ):
>
>modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-188
>
>When I look thru /usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/devices.txt, this is
>listed as "188 = /dev/smbusbios    SMBus BIOS".
>When I ran sensors-detect, I chose smbus, rather than ISA. I have an
>Asus A7V-133-C mobo.
>
>***Should I run it again and choose ISA this time?

It's worth a try...

*Very important*
Since you have the "tuner" module, but do not have the "bttv" module,
you probably installed the ivtv drivers using some package manager.  As
I said above, the tuner module you have expects the updated I2C
subsystem, so it is important that you have a kernel patched to include
the new I2C subsystem.  I'm assuming that the tuner module was part of
the package that contained the ivtv drivers, which should indicate that
the ivtv drivers were compiled to use the new I2C subsystem.  All Linux
2.6.x kernels use the new I2C subsystem, and a patch is available for
2.4.9+ kernels ( http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/download.html#other
).  Make sure you have the proper kernel installed (or find a package of
the ivtv drivers that uses I2C 2.6.x).

To determine if your kernel is using I2C 2.8.x,  find a line like:
#define I2C_VERSION "2.6.1"
in "/usr/include/linux/i2c.h" and ensure it is version 2.8.x (unlike the
line above).  Note, Linux 2.6.x is using I2C version 2.8.x (and, BTW,
does not include an I2C_VERSION in the referenced file).

If you decide to upgrade your kernel, I recommend doing so with a
package manager--it will be much easier than trying to do so from
source/patches since there are so many pieces involved (and make sure
you have a rescue disk available, just in case).  Finding an ivtv
package that uses I2C 2.6.x might be easier still.

Also, you might want to think about signing up for the ivtv mailing
lists ( http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219 ), as the first
question is an ivtv question and the others are more closely related to
ivtv than to Myth.  More importantly, though, a lot of good information
about the ivtv drivers is available on those lists.

Mike