[mythtv-users] IR Frustration -- Is there an easier way?

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Fri Apr 16 12:59:49 EDT 2004

Okay. I don't think I'm cut out for this homebrew stuff...

I've got my Myth backend working, I think, except for lirc. Which means it's
not working at all because if I can't change channels on my satellite boxes,
it's worthless.

I've got three devices that I want to connect (through two PVR-250s). Two of
them are Dish Network receivers (probably soon to be replaced by Comcast
digital cable boxes) and one is a USDTV receiver.

As far as the Dish ones go, I don't imagine there will be much problem
finding remote codes or lirc config files for them, so all I should need for
those is an IR transmitter.

But I've searched high and low for any information on the USDTV remote and
come up with bupkis.

(USDTV is a HDTV receiver and subscription service that provides several
channels like Food Network, Disney, HGTV, ESPN, Discovery in addition to the
standard networks via standard broadcast frequencies -- no dish or cable
required, just an antenna)

This means that I'll have to create my own lirc config, which means I'll
need an IR receiver in addition to the transmitter.

So I figured I could build one using the diagrams at lirc.org. I got
everything soldered together, carefully checked and re-checked it, then
plugged it in. After some initial lirc confusion (I forgot to modprobe
lirc_serial) I had lirc running without crashing and attempted to test the
receiver via irw and/or irrecord. I get absolutely nothing.

At this point, I'm at a complete loss as to how to determine if it's a
hardware or a software issue, and I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on
this whole Myth thing and get a TiVo instead (except my wife would not be
happy about the several hundred I've spent on hardware for the Myth system).

Is there a (fairly inexpensive, extensively tested, easy to configure, and
readily available) pre-built IR transceiver that I can use instead? Can
anyone provide any pointers, suggestions, and/or moral support?

Help!
Scott

---