[mythtv-users] Home movie copying and recording profiles insanity

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Apr 16 15:05:01 EDT 2004

	Hello all.  I've experienced some odd behavior on my mythtv box and
it's driver (me) of late.  I'm trying to copy some old home movies on 8mm tape
onto DVD via my PVR-250 card.  For this, I figured I'd make a custom "channel"
on the composite input.  I'm not using any external tuner, so this is the first
time I'd set that up.
	Basically, I'm a bit confused at how the "video source" gets bound to
tuner channels and/or different inputs.  I've run 'setup' to create an 'AUX'
video source, and added a bogus channel to it.  I don't see where to bind it to
the composite input, though, so if I change to that bogus channel (101 is what
I chose), it doesn't change.  I can manually hit 'c' and change it to
composite, but I would think that it would figure this out.  I suppose it's
somewhat similar to having more channels on an external tuner box (directv,
digital cable, etc).

	The other issue is with recording profiles.  I figured I'd make a
"DVD-compatible" profile set with 704x480, 352x480, and different bitrates to
record this stuff on.  My normal recording profiles are either 480x480
(DVD non-standard) or 640x480 (non-standard, but PC friendly with square
pixels).  Now that I created this new recording profile
(localhost.localdomain), it appears that the normal scheduler uses it for its
normal PVR-250 configuration.  I don't know what setting to change now, because
I'd like to have the scheduler use the previous "PVR-X50 profiles" for any TV
recordings, but have the opportunity to set a manual recording and use my
"DVD-friendly profiles" on composite in from the 8mm camcorder.

	Any thoughts?  I cannot figure how to delete the "DVD-friendly
profiles" now (not so good at hacking MySQL database directly).  This doesn't
seem like it should be that tough, but I'm probably not quite going about it
the right way.

Thanks for any help,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*