[mythtv-users] Idea for archiving of shows to DVD/CD

Greg geflatt at hfx.eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 16 16:49:29 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 14:02, Shawn Asmussen wrote:
> There has been a lot of discussion about the difficulties of burning shows
> to DVD format, but I was thinking about an alternative that might be
> useful, although it wouldn't be a complete replacement for burning regular
> DVDs that could be played in a DVD player. What if there was a method by
> which you could select a number of shows to archive, and it would just
> write the .nuv files to a data disc (DVD, or CD, or whatever), along with
> an export of the database info that goes along with those particular
> programs? Then there could be an option to re-import the programs from the
> backup disc, or optionally play them directly from the burned media. You
> couldn't play the DVD in a standard DVD player, but depending on the
> bitrate you recorded the shows at, you could archive substantially more
> programming on a single DVD. You could re-import shows to another mythtv
> box if you felt like it, and with the proper filters, you could also watch
> the .nuv files on a Windows box from the archived media. The only thing
> you couldn't do is play it back in a standard DVD player, but if you have
> a mythtv box anyway, this would be no great inconvenience. The only thing
> you couldn't really do is produce a DVD for a friend to watch on his own
> DVD player. It would also be much easier to implement than all of the
> hoops you have to jump through to convert the videos to DVD format.
> Anybody else think that this sort of archiving would be useful?
>
> Shawn Asmussen

Funny I was thinking about this kinda of thing myself in the last few
days.. It would be useful for a quick way to archive shows to removable
media (DVD-R). Perhaps myth could parse the exported database files and
list the details in the "watch recordings" menu under it's own list.
Kinda like how each show gets it's own list, or so I'm thinking. Yup I
think that would be a great feature myself!

Greg