[mythtv-users] ALSA and SPDIF Out For nForce2 Motherboards

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 17 12:01:29 EDT 2004

KianTeck wrote:

> From the mythfrontend, this is what it says when I tried to switch
> over to watch live TV:
>
> --------------<snip>---------------
> Opening ALSA audio device 'digital'.
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1057:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p
> failed: Device or resource busy
> Playback open error: Device or resource busy
> 2004-04-17 23:28:31 Using XV port 105
> --------------<snip>---------------

That seems to indicate that some other program is using your sound
device.  Since you've set a default of "unmixed" digital, only one
process can use the sound at a time.  It seems Myth won't do playback if
it cannot get access to the sound device (which is exactly what it
should do).

Therefore, try "mixed" digital as your default.  Uncomment this line
instead:

## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"

Note, you will need to restart the program that is currently using your
sound before this will take effect (because it is still using it
exclusively).  The easiest way to ensure this happens is probably to
reboot after changing your .asoundrc.

Good luck,
Mike