[mythtv-users] system crashed while setting up mysql database... how to reset??

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 05:19:19 EDT 2004

--- jpainter at cox.net wrote:
> Was following Jarod's guide, doing well!  Until...
>
> # /sbin/chkconfig mysqld on
> # /sbin/service mysqld start
> Set the mysql root password, replacing ROOT_PWD with
> your chosen administrator password:
>
> # mysql -u root mysql
> mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD')
> WHERE user='root';
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> mysql> quit
>

> I got to the ling for where I was trying to type
> “quit”
>
> I made 1 mistake, and had horrible misfortune!   I
> didn’t put my password (stupid, it was late, what
> can I say), I just typed the line exactly.
> Secondly, my machine crashed right when I was about
> to type quit.  Now, I cant start the service, it
> just tells me it fails.
>
> I don’t know how to reset things to try again!
>
> I have searched around, but I don’t really
> understand mysql at all, I have never used it
> before.  I tried reinstalling the RPM with –force
> and that didn’t help anything.

It (mysql) probably is running. There is a problem
with the Fedora mysqld startup script that declares
"failed" after a changed root password. Nothing wrong
with that, you should change the password.

Try this:
/sbin/chkconfig --list | grep mysqld

you should see this:
mysqld  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on
 6:off

That shows mysqld should be running. Verify with this:
/sbin/service mysqld status

you should see something like this where #### is your
pid:

mysqld (pid ####) is running...

If this checks out, as I suspect it will, try this

mysql -u root -h localhost -p

when prompted for your password use 'ROOT_PWD' as your
mysql password. That is how you set it. If you get the
mysql prompt (mysql>) you are good to go. Now enter

mysql>exit

and ignore the failed startup notice for now. As you
can see, it is incorrect. You may want to change your
password to something you like better.