[mythtv-users] More LIRC Woes

Brian Rumple brumple at VALUBOND.COM
Mon Apr 19 11:43:17 EDT 2004

Irrecord won't get an input if lircd is running.  Irrecord tries to
access /dev/lirc (/dev/lirc/0) directly and both of them can't have it
opened.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Scott Nicholson
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:19 AM
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] More LIRC Woes

> Have you verified that /dev/lirc/0 is created after you load the
> driver?

/dev/lirc/0 is created when I modprobe lirc_serial

> Assuming that /dev/lirc/0 is the correct device file, are you
> specifying this to lircd when you test it? By default, lircd assumes
> that it should connect to /dev/lirc to talk to the device driver. If
> /dev/lirc/0 is the correct device file, you will need to specify
> '--device=/dev/lirc/0' on the lircd command line when it is started in

> order to tell it the correct file to open.

My /etc/conf.d/lircd contains:

LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/lirc/0"

And I'm starting lircd with "/etc/init.d/lircd start". Looking at
/etc/init.d/lircd it appears that it should be reading the options and
applying them to the startup command.

> What about the serial driver in the kernel? Are you making sure to
> either not load the serial port driver, or to use setserial to set the

> uart to none so that the kernel won't fight with lirc over the serial
> port?

I was doing "setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none" and then to make double
certain I recompiled the kernel with the serial driver modularized. I
don't have any /dev/ttySx anymore, so I assume I don't need to use
setserial.

> I wouldn't assume a hardware problem yet. It still sounds like you may

> have configuration issues.

Any more suggestions?
Scott

---