[mythtv-users] Cannot rip dvds at less than perfect quality

Richard Whittaker rwhittak3 at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 19 21:12:49 EDT 2004

Everything on my mythtv system works perfectly except dvd ripping.  I
can do a perfect rip, and it plays fine from the .vob file, but when I
try to do a rip on anything less than perfect, it fails.  It rips the
file to disk then hangs at the "transcode is thinking..." for a few
seconds, then quits (goes back to the "press '0' for a new rip"
screen).  When it fails, it removes the temporary directory and the vob
file, so I can't even really play with that outside of mythtv.

"transcode" is the base transcode command, it is in the mythtv users
path, and I'm running v0.6.12.

Neither the mythbackend.log file nor the output from running
mythfrontend seem to report anything interesting or relevant to this
problem, and the mtd.log file never gets created for the transcode.

On my previous install, dvd rips worked properly, and I'm pretty sure I
didn't do anything differently.. although obviously I must have.  Most
of the rips I have done previously play fine with my new install, but
one (Gladiator) does not - mplayer just hangs indefinately.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Whittaker