[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping error

Thomas Lann doctorubel at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 21:38:42 EDT 2004

--- "J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net>
wrote:
> Thomas Lann wrote:
>
> >What leads you to believe it may be a
> filesystem/size
> >issue.  It looks like the file is well under 2GB
> >

> Because the error message gives you two options, one
> of which is easily
> verifiable.  Since your hard drive isn't full it's
> logic to consider the
> second option.

------
Ah yes deductive logic.  I just wondered if there was
something that I missed.

> >I haven't patched the kernel for support because
> I'm a
> >bit of a linux newbie.  I can follow directions and
> >have learned alot of linux stuff in the process so
> >far, but there has been a large amount of hair
> pulling
> >:-)  Maybe that will be a future endeavor.
> >
> Well that or try one of the more advanced file
> systems that are included
> with the kernel..
>
> >First, I would like to get DVD ripping working,
> >
> which you may not be able to do, given your
> filesystems choices
>

> Here's something to try:  Take the file that
> "reached it's limit" and
> try to add to duplicate it with something like "cat
> FILE > test && cat
> FILE >> test" and see what messages you get.
---------------
After trying everything that you suggested i.e. the
cat test and then changing the filesystem to jfs, I
realized I only had 400M on my main distro partition.

I had a lot of trash in my wastebasket.  After
emptying it, I've had 3 in a row succesful Perfect DVD
RIPs.  So that seems to be the problem.  It is kind of
strange though.  I have the setup using a jfs
partition and it uses the jfs partition when creating
the recording.

Thomas