[mythtv-users] Re: Bleb.org down??

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Tue Apr 20 06:26:44 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 08:01, Rob Willett wrote:

> It may be that bleb.org actually constructs the XML files out of a DB to be
> returned each time, I thought that this would be inefficient since we could
> generate the entire XML ech day, but I don't know how it's setup either.
>
> Who needs to approach Andrew about this?

a while ago i asked andrew about the software he runs
i was concerned about the single point of failure issue
i also wanted to spread the load and increase the range of channels supported
[i have ntl cable and sky digital]

he ignored the question (for whatever reason)

i would like to build a network of servers to provide this facility
that way it would be fault tolerant

required:

a set of grabbers from the various tv stations (tvlive, bbc, etc)
a database to store them
a web system for providing the listsings in xmltv format
a mechanism for providing the list of servers
a mechanism for keeping the server list current
a mechanism for sharing the load

i am willing and capable of helping with the design, code and hosting of such
a system. i need partners to help in the design.

i would suggest the following:

a unix like os (i use linux but any should be acceptable - bsd, solaris, aix,
etc)
mysql at least, but possibly postgres for the database
perl or python for the grabbers
php or mod_perl for the servers

? for the server sync - there must be software in this space already!

--
simon