[mythtv-users] Re: Bleb.org down??

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Tue Apr 20 08:22:07 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 11:58, Rob Willett wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Most of the software needed is readily available.
>
> 1. My understanding is that bleb.org doesn't simply use one of the existing
> trawl programs. I *thought* I had read somewhere that Andrew stated this
> wasn;t the case. I could be wrong though...

it would be good if he made his software available

> 2. If the XML file is generated automatically each day then all we are
> really doing is spreading the download across many servers. The
> syncronisation of these servers is easy using something like wget. If the
> XML file is generated on each request for the XML file then we have to sync
> the databases. A little difficult but not that bad, simply sqldump the data
> into a file, wget it and then reinsert into the mirror. (assuming we're
> running mySQL)

that would work

> 3. My first thought is that something like bittorrent
> http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/ might be the quickest and easiest way to
> make this available. Admittedly bittorrent is somewhat overkill for a small
> file but it's the thought that counts. <grin>. This addresses most of your
> last few points.

i've being doing some small research and so far come up wih nothing 100%
suitable. bittorrent has a couple of characteristics which would lead me to
believe that it is not suitable:

- it uses its own port number. this makes it firewall unfriendly
- it has a single point of failure; the tracker

> If we use bittorrent then the problem becomes a little easier. I've never
> set bittorrent up but will have a look at it later this week. (Just after
> I've solved world hunger...)
>
> Rob.

it seems like there are a number of discrete problems to solve:

- define a database schema which can store xmltv data
- define a mechanism for the exchange of (improper subsets of) the data
- define a mechanism for the administration (addition and deletion) of
participating nodes with no central registry
- define a mechanism for the discovery of servers
- define a set of grabbers

the network (serious overkill) that i have in mind is contained in the
attached diagram. comments welcome (including - you're mad!)
--
simon