[mythtv-users] Free USB RF remote (just $5.90 for shipping) -Getting it to work

Brian Rumple brumple at VALUBOND.COM
Wed Apr 21 12:29:12 EDT 2004

Yes, xte sends X keypresses to the window with focus.  You can find it
at: http://hoopajoo.net/projects/xautomation.html

I think your problem is the default PC device of the remote.  The
default is something other than 0, which is what my config file is set
up for.  I think the valid values are 1-16.  I guess you need to
subtract one in the conf file.

1. Press and release the PC button.
2. Press and hold Setup until the indicator starts to blink. Release
Setup (the indicator blinks a number corresponding to its Master Code
1-16) and then stays on).
3. While the indicator is on, enter a new number for this remote (1-16)
and then press Setup. The indicator blinks back the new setting and then
stays off.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Clint Gilders
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:12 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Free USB RF remote (just $5.90 for shipping)
-Getting it to work

Brian Rumple wrote:
> Here are the things you will need to get.  I think everything should
> be pretty straight forward.  Wish handles all the communication with
> the transceiver.  For the remote buttons it goes through the
> /dev/x10/remote device.  All other X10 commands go through wish's
> /dev/x10/a1, /dev/x10/a2, etc.  So if you have X10 device you can
> control them also.
>
> Wish has a script called makedev.sh that will create all the devices
> for you.  If you don't care about X10 commands you could just do:
>
> mknod /dev/x10/remote c 121 80
>
> I never do a make install on wish.  For my kernel I just do:
>
> mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/char/x10
> cp x10_fcusb.o /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/char/x10
> depmod -a
> modprobe x10_fcusb
>
> The module loading will hang if you don't have the transceiver plugged

> in.
>

> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wish/wish-1.6.9a.tar.gz?download
> http://home.comcast.net/~brumple/fcusb.diff
> http://home.comcast.net/~brumple/MouseRemoteFC.pl
> http://home.comcast.net/~brumple/MouseRemoteFC.conf
> http://home.comcast.net/~brumple/MouseRemoteKeys.pl

Thanks for the files.

I received my free remote today.   I have built and installed the driver

on my Mandrake 9.2 system for testing before I try it on my myth box.

I followed the steps above, and everything went fine.  Now what do I do?

  I've run MouseRemoteFC.pl and it reports the key presses I make but
that's it.  When run with debugging I see (when pressing the power
button for example):

 >> 4 Length
 >> 02 Device:
 >> 08 Device:
 >> 7F Device:
 >> 80 Device:
byte = 2 code = 128
undefined key:02 for
Eating key 02
Eating key 02
Eating key 02
Eating key 02

Since myth isn't on this machine I changed the Power entry in
MouseRemoteFC.conf to:

power /usr/bin/xmms

Still nothing.

With many of the entries I see references to 'xte':

0 xte 'key 0'
1 xte 'key 1'
2 xte 'key 2'
3 xte 'key 3'
4 xte 'key 4'
5 xte 'key 5'

Is 'xte' a program that I should have?   Where would I find it?

What I did do to make sure the remote itself worked was download the
original versions of the MouseRemote.pl et. al. and hacked them a bit to

work with the Lola remote.   Using those scripts I can run commands just

fine.  This is what I see when I run the daemon and press power:

[clint at monster client]$ perl MouseRemote.pl -d PC
 >> 02 Device:PC
byte = 2 code = 128
/usr/bin/xmms --Eating key 02
Eating key 02
Eating key 02
Eating key 02

How do I send keypresses so I can control a myth frontend?   Is that
what xte is for?
--
Clint Gilders <techservices at onlinehobbyist.com>
Director of Technology Services