[mythtv-users] Dual tuner info

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Thu Apr 22 16:42:27 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 15:50, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 22 April 2004 11:20, Khanh Tran wrote:
> > Can someone point me in the direction of good instructions on dual tuner
> > setups?  It seems like an obscure thing to find.  I have them working OK
> > so far, but the EPG shows two copies of the channel.
>
> That means you set up two separate channel sources for each tuner. If they are
> for the same source, just assign that sources to both tuners.
>
> > Also, depending on
> > which one you choose, the backend will come back with an error saying
> > that the tuner is in use if you choose two programs in the same timeslot
> > to record.  While this isn't a problem for me, the WAF will be low on
> > remembering "which" of the two EPG items to choose...

> the first one to both tuner inputs.

So there's no way you can tell myth that a channel in one source is the
same as a channel in another?  I'm not in this situation yet, but I
forsee I will be in the future.

My ultimate goal is to have three tuners, two for my DCT boxes and a
third with regular cable.

So, for the first two, no problem, just set the same source as they are
identical.

The third presents a problem as just adding another basic cable source
would result in duplicate channels ... unless ...  and i'm basically
working this out as I type here so bear with me ...

Listing #1: Digital Cable with all basic channels removed
Listing #2: Basic Channels

Tuner #1:
	Composite Input -> Listing #1
	Television Input -> Listing #2

Tuner #2:
	Composite Input -> Listing #1
	Television Input -> Listing #2

Tuner #3:
	Television Input -> Listing #2

This would probably make a bit of a cable nightmare at the back and may
require a few cable splitters to setup.

MythTV is smart enough to know that it can't record the television input
of tuner 1 if it's using the composite already, right?  Would this work?

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>