[mythtv-users] Why does it take 20% cpu power to run mythfrontend when it used to take 4%?

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Thu Apr 22 19:18:35 EDT 2004

when running top, it is currently taking 20% cpu power on my AMD 2500 to play
an MPEG4 recording at 544 x480, with most everything cpu intensive turned
off.  In previous versions, from 0.10 to 0.13, it took about 4% cpu, with
everything cpu intensive turned ON.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I used to
think that an AMD 2500 was enough oats to record on one analog card and
playback one stream, but now I'm not so sure anymore.  I get occasional
skipping if the backend and frontend are both working at the same time.  I'm
using anywhere from 50%-80% cpu to record in MPEG4, and the rest to playback.
When I first setup myth at 0.10, it took about 35% total to record and
playback a stream at the same time.  What else could have been added to suck
up this much processor?  anyone got any ideas?

In the event that I can't do anything about this, how feasible is it to roll
my database back to 0.10-compliant?

Thanks,
Mark